Search Right-Wing Genius's Blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thoughts on Turning 24

It's been a week since my 24th birthday, and I have to say, I'm feeling pretty good about where I am in life right now. I'm past the halfway point (knock on wood) in my law school career; I'm working for a great judge at the Tarrant County Justice Center; and next month I hope to return to Baylor and finish out my law school career without taking another quarter off. In spite of all that, I can't help but feel a little dejected when I consider that:



  • Tim Tebow is 23 and, in addition to being a two-time winner of the "Best Male College Athlete" ESPY Award, is/was the first college sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy.

  • Rory McIlroy is 22 and just won the U.S. Open, the youngest bloke to do so in nearly 90 years.

  • Petra Kvitová is 21 and just upset 5th-seeded Maria Sharapova to win the women's singles at Wimbledon.

Of course, we're not just talking about professional athletes here, and these aren't just achievements; these are their careers. I have chosen to follow a different path in life, and right now I'm right about where I'm supposed to be, according to my plan. So, I thought, I needn't feel sad about not having done more at this point in my life. After all, how much can a 24-year-old full-time law student accomplish outside of school?


Then I found out about Ricky Gill, a second-year law student at UC Berkeley who is currently running for the U.S. House of Representatives in California's 11th Congressional District. Gill, a Republican, just reported raising an eye-popping $420,000 in the 2nd quarter, all of it from individuals. If he wins the GOP primary, then he'll likely face three-term Rep. Jerry McNerney (D-Pleasanton) next November. By then, Gill will be 25, the minimum age members of the House must "have attainted to" under the Constitution.


Maybe I should run for Congress. On second thought, that's a really stupid idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment